To bring in the new year

Posted on: Sunday, Dec 31, 2006

STOP PRESS – THIS JUST IN

Bring in the New Year with SEASICK STEVE on Jools Holland’s Hootenanny, tonight on BBC2 at 10.50pm  alongside Paul Weller, Zutons, Kooks, Lily Allen, Sam Moore of Sam and Dave etc. (Then please vote him best performer at www.bbc.co.uk/later!)

Steve’s new album Dog House Music is available at www.bronzerat.co.uk and all good record shops.

More info:- www.myspace.com/seasicksteve
www.bronzerat.co.uk
www.seasicksteve.com

January 1st, 2007 at 10:40

Yeah – good tip – he was great.
It was a traditional New Year Eve for me, my wife sat in one room playing computer games and I sat in the other room watching Jools and getting quietly sozzled!

For me the two highlights of the show were Seasick Steve and the fabulous Amy Winehouse. Despite the problems that she has had in her personal life this year Amy Winehouse has an amazing voice and was the best singer on the show by far. Great legs too!

Seasick Steve was completely rock and roll. He was more exciting than all the other performers and all he had was a right foot and a three string guitar through an overdriven amp.

Despite the dubious artistic integrity of Ade Edmondson singing, I thought that doing a swing version of Anarchy in the UK actually worked and shows just how little rock and roll changes when you analyse the songs outside their usual timeframe and cultural anchor.

If you missed the show due to having a social life or were out playing blues somewhere then I strongly recommend looking for the repeats that are on lunchtime today (1st Jan) or midnight on 6th Jan.

January 3rd, 2007 at 13:11

Ooops! It has just been pointed out to me that Seasick Steve was using his left foot for percussive effects.

So it’s not really fair to say that all he had was a right foot. Let me be 100% clear, he has two feet, only the left of which, he uses for smacking a beat board.

Lionel

January 3rd, 2007 at 16:38

I agree: Amy and Seasick were both terrific. With that voice, Amy would make a superb blues singer. It was also noticeable that Seasick went down a bomb with the audience.

January 3rd, 2007 at 20:23

Indeed! One of my work colleagues was so impressed he asked if Ray would book him at Warrington.

January 4th, 2007 at 15:55

A friend of my mine kindly recorded the show on to DVD (posh buggar!), and I have to agree that Seasick Dave was terrific! His second album “Dog House Music” gets four stars in the brand new Mojo. Apparently he was raised in California, hoboed around on trains, and eventually changed his name from Steve Wold to Seasick in middle age! He is now based in Norway – rapidly beooming a hot-bed of the blues.

January 4th, 2007 at 21:29

Apologies to Seasick’s new legion of North West fans – silly me called him Dave not Steve!

January 4th, 2007 at 21:31

Poor guy!

First I remove one of his legs, Glen wants him to come to Warrington, Grahame changes his name and I still think that Amy Winehouse’s legs were the best bit of the whole show.

January 5th, 2007 at 09:37

Agreed – but the tattoos are a bit fearsome! Her version of the old ska tune “Monkey Man” was great! Seasick’s fee will have gone up now due to the exposure and will be too much for our mate Ray! As good as he was may be two hours of it could be a bit too much of the same thing!

January 5th, 2007 at 14:22

The bluesinthenorthwest.com website received a doubling of hits in the couple of days just after Seasick Steve was on the telly.

Theren’t that many sites that mention Seasick and some the people doing searches on Google and Yahoo for Seasick ended up here.

That is the power of TV.