Gig: Paul Rishell and Annie Raines
Posted on: Saturday, Aug 4, 2007
UPDATED AGAIN ON 31 aug 2007
Unfortunately the tour has been cancelled.
W.C. Handy Award (now known as the Blues Music Awards) winners Paul Rishell and Annie Raines are on the road touring the UK in October and November.
They have two dates in the northwest – see below for details.
Paul Rishell studied the National Steel guitar playing alongside blues masters Son House and Howlin’ Wolf. He is now considered a master player and teacher of all prewar blues guitar styles. His signature voice speaks of joy, pain and ultimately the triumph of soul and spirit. Annie Raines is the world’s only female blues harmonica virtuoso. She also sings, writes songs, plays mandolin and piano.
Paul and Annie play an amazing range of acoustic and electric traditional and original music including old-time country blues, terrifying slide guitar and harmonica moans, driving Chicago blues and haunting gospel ballads. They have appeared on A Prairie Home Companion and have recorded and performed with John Sebastian, Rory Block, Pinetop Perkins, and Susan Tedeschi.
The duo has released three critically acclaimed albums together. Moving To The Country won the 2000 W.C. Handy Award for Acoustic Blues Album of the Year and their latest release, Goin’ Home, was a 2005 nominee for Acoustic Blues Album of the Year.
Here are the UK dates…..
- Wed 10/10 Bishops Stortford, UK The Half Moon
- Mon 10/15 Lydney, UK The Miners Arms
- Tue 10/16 Crawley, UK The Hawth
- Fri 10/19 Worthenbury, UK, Goin’ Up The Country
- Wed 10/24 Sutton Coldfield, UK The Station Pub
- Thu 10/25 Barnstaple, UK Queen’s Theatre
- Fri 10/26 Oxford, UK The X
- Sat 10/27 Bristol, UK Harmonica 2007 Festival
- Sun 10/28 Bristol, UK The Mayor’s Arms
- Thur 11/1 Cockermouth, UK The Fletcher Christian
- Fri 11/2 Keighley, UK Bronte Blues Club
- Fri 11/16 Luxembourg City, LX Sang & Klang