One week to go…..

Posted on: Friday, Sep 7, 2007

As previously mentioned, next Friday 14th Sept is the opening night of the autumn season at the Warrington Blues Club. Don’t forget that you can see the excellent multinational band Memo Gonzalez and the Bluescasters. A special band who are close to my heart are playing the support slot behind Memo and the boys.

The founder members of the well loved and well remembered northwest blues band Down At Antones will be the support at Warrington. The band are currenty working under the name of Band of Thieves but are looking for a new name for the blues outfit (the soul band will continue to use the Band of Thieves name). Ace vocalist and guitarist Neil Partington is leading the group as bandleader and hard taskmaster. He is joined by his old sparring partner Ken Peace (me) on various fat-toned harmonicas. The Down at Antones boys are joined by Steve, Nick and Glen on bass, drums and keys.

If anyone has suggestions for a good name for the band then please leave as a comment on this this post. The winner will receive a big bluesy hug from his/her band member of choice.

Here’s a picture from the 1990s archives. Please note that Ken is a little broader and greyer than before and will not be wearing the dodgy early 90s glasses, Neil no longer wears a quiff (thank goodness).

KENCOL

More archive material from the 1990s here.

September 8th, 2007 at 09:42

Ha ha . . . great photo – Neil looks a dead-ringer for the late Stuart Adamson (The Skids/Big Country), can’t think of a likeness for your good self, although I’m sure some wag will post one eventually! Seriously, really looking forward to next Friday, should be a cracker. As regards a name, was thinking of something along the lines of ‘Return to Antone’s’ – a bit cheesy for you or what?

September 8th, 2007 at 19:34

Cheese is good. I like it.

September 8th, 2007 at 22:35

Blue cheese

September 10th, 2007 at 23:18

Just been watching a You tube clip of The Mannish Boys so how about…
The Boyish Men

September 13th, 2007 at 18:36

Are you not taking this seriously Mr. Evans? (LOL)

September 13th, 2007 at 20:17

Mr Rhodes
What on earth are you suggesting – I’m a professional man I’ll have you know.
It’s not an insult to be compared to the Mannish Boys as I’m sure you and Mr Peace will know their line-up!

devils_dumplings

September 16th, 2007 at 01:47

What a fantastic night! It was actually my first visit to the blues club and what a night to start on!

Even though we couldnt find seats, me and my friend thoroughly enjoyd Memo gonzalez and the Bluescasters ( we were late). But it was worth getting lost just to see Band of Thieves (the last few tracks when we walked in hastily stuffing sat nav into pocket)….anymore tour dates lined up?

September 16th, 2007 at 10:30

Thanks for the great words. Warrington is a great blues club, I have had many fine nights in there.

Band of Thieves have nothing lined up as yet, but we do have a plan. I posted about this a little in my “first thoughts” entry.