Maryport 2008

Posted on: Sunday, Jul 27, 2008

A great day yesterday.  Great atmosphere, great music, great food and great weather.  The highlight for me was Jon Cleary and the Absolute Monster Gentlemen Band.  They were absolutely incredible, one of the best bands that I have ever seen.

Photos are starting to trickle into Flickr.  Here’s one from marra121.

Unfortunately I cannot show the picture as blogging is off by default.

July 27th, 2008 at 17:10

Have to agree with everything you say Ken except the beer – just couldn’t get a taste for it! Jon Cleary was indeed outstanding.
Look forward to next year – we might have to make a weekend of it then although I shan’t be bringing my car fridge!!!

July 27th, 2008 at 17:30

I agree entirely. I think that Jennings were a sponsor of the festival and as such they should have ensured that their, normally excellent, beer was kept and served well.

July 27th, 2008 at 19:40

Indeed chaps – the Jon Cleary & The Absolute Monster Gentlemen set was one of the best things I have ever seen live – just a shame they were only allocated a measly hour! True the beer was not the best – a bit odd, as it hasn’t exactly got a long way to travel from Cockermouth. All in all, a lovely day – mention must go to Aussie Jeff Lang, who was also superb in his shared set with the great Derren Neuendorf. Only caught the last couple of numbers of the lovely Lisa Mills set, featuring a show-stopping version of Sam Cooke’s “Bring It On Home To Me”.

Lionel

July 28th, 2008 at 10:31

Brilliant day. Jon Cleary and his band were terrific, as were Earl Thomas and his young ensemble. The former was laid back and the latter full of energy. Lisa Mills gave the day a great start and Jeff Lang was excellent. The beer was very disappointing – but at least it wasn’t outrageously priced. The hardest judgment to understand was why Jon Cleary only got an hour and Beth Rowley got an hour and a half and was higher up the bill.

July 28th, 2008 at 21:28

Looking at the couple of You Tube clips from Chuck Berry on the Friday, I’m glad we made the decision to go on the Saturday! If I’m being a bit harsh, sorry!

July 30th, 2008 at 10:08

I was reading the Spanish newspaper El Pais yesterdaay and they reported that Chuck failed to show at Málaga airport for a couple of shows in Andalucía. These shows were Chuck’s next work immediately after Maryport.

Spanish officials were told “Yes, he’s on the plane, but a plane to Chicago not to Málaga”.

My Spanish is not perfect but I think that the article said that he had a disagreement with his daughter on the way to Manchester Airport that resulted in them cancelling the shows at the last minute and flying home. Chuck was paid in advance for the two gigs and the fee was more than €70,000.

The cancellation was very short notice leaving Spanish fans at the venue with no Chuck.

July 30th, 2008 at 20:52