Bluefunk Benefit Gig – 08 October

Posted on: Sunday, Oct 5, 2008

Thanks to northwest band Cactus Moon for letting us know about a benefit gig this week for the Bluefunk Club in Poynton.  I don’t know the details of the incident but it appears that the club suffered a loss of some sort on the night that Jon Cleary played.

Here’s the internet site of Cactus Moon themselves.  A fabulously designed site of a talented group of musicians and a first for bluesinthenorthwest.com – I have not seen a blues band mobile phone ringtone available before.  Hats off to a great idea.

October 5th, 2008 at 13:15

All very mysterious – could someone enlighten us as to what has gone on?

Bluefunkster

October 5th, 2008 at 18:41

Hi folks, let me explain. Back in July we were extremely privileged to have Jon Cleary and the Absolute Monster Gentlemen play for us at the club. The night was incredible, certainly the moat accomplished band I’ve seen in 20years and a very full house was totally blown away by surely the best funky blues band on the planet. As an indicator of how well they were received, they sold in excess of 500 quids worth of CDs to a very appreciative audience.
The regular audience at the club is solid gold. Most of the ‘members’ habitually attend 3/5 of all the events, some never miss. I know most of them by name, and would count them as friends and not merely punters. However on this occasion Jon Cleary’s Radio 2 exposure drew a lot of new people to the club that night and unfortunately there was one who you wouldn’t want as a friend. In the wonderful aftermath of the gig when JC & the AMG were signing CDs, pressing the flesh etc, this lowlife spotted a moment when everyone was suitably distracted and dipped into my briefcase and removed a large amount of money (the bulk of the takings )which had been neatly bundled to pass on to the band. We are talking 4 figures, serious wonga. (As a footnote I hope he dies in pain).
Proving to me what I already know, when they found out this had happened many of of my wonderful Members offered to pay again ****????!!!!. Obviously I could not allow them to do this, but they have insisted that I should not bear the loss alone. They have therefore cajoled me into doing a benefit gig to try and recoup at least some of the loss. All the musicians who are playing are doing so for free which is very heartwarming and i suppose is a reflection of the fact that they know when they have played for me in the past they have always been treated fairly and paid they maximum possible amount I could sometimes subsidised from my own pocket. They members have also organised a raffle and donated some great prizes including a superb original portrait of Rory Gallagher, a guitar, a photographic studio portrait session and others.
There you have it, a tale of the good, the bad and the beautiful. Support live music! Garry @ Bluefunk

October 5th, 2008 at 21:21

Hi Gary – Thanks for putting everyone in the picture. You must have been gutted that such a lowlife could do this after such a corking gig. Like you say, most club regulars are good sorts who you can rely on. What a coup for you guys to get Jon Cleary and band at the club, we saw him at Maryport and it was quite simply one of the best live hours I have ever seen – absolutely fantastic! Hope your benefit goes well and this does not put you off from presenting live music – I’m sure I speak for everyone on bluesinthenorthwest.com and all genuine music fans.

October 5th, 2008 at 23:29

I echo what my good friend Grahame has said. Today was the first time I heard of this theft and associated benefit. Good luck with getting back some of the lost money.

Speaking of Cleary – I was amazed, astounded and stunned by the band’s Maryport gig. Incredible! Had I known that they has been playing just a few miles up the road from little old Chester at the Bluefunk club then I would have been there like a shot.

Keep up the good work.

Jimbo

October 6th, 2008 at 09:51

I think lowlife is too kind a word for whoever did this, good luck with the benefit gig !!

Bluefunkster

October 6th, 2008 at 17:19

Thanks to everyone for your kind words and sentiments. it was a crappy thing to have happened but I prefer to focus on the positive. A)the Jon Cleary gig was quite unbelievably fine. B)the reaction from my members has been incredible. C) We are going to have an incredible party on Wednesday to take the bad taste away!
PS. Currently talking to Jon Cleary RE next year. Watch this space!