bluesinthenorthwest.com on tour – Day 4 – Thursday

Posted on: Sunday, Oct 12, 2008

Thu morning we headed to Wallmart for beer and provisions. The sensible ones bought more expensive, better quality garden chairs. The less sensible bought 7 dollar crappy ones.

Downtown Clarksdale was very quiet and clearly very poor; I believe that the main source of income is tourism these days so this festival weekend is very important for them.  We went to the Delta Blues Museum and the Cat Head store.

Then off we went to Helena across the great Mississippi river.  The festival is in a great location  in the middle of the town. It is tightly integrated into the community.  On setting up, my cheap chair lasted 8 mins – an all time record I think.

It was great weather – mid 20s no clouds with a cool breeze, very dangerous for an Englishman.  The Welsh crowd started making re acquaintances from last year.  The festival goers were very friendly people but actually this statement applies to all the southern folks, not just the blues fans but all over the delta.

Thanks to Pete Evans for using my half broken chair to hang a Welsh dragon flag.

It was a great day. For me the highlight was the fabulous Reba Russell.  Look out for some dates in the UK in 2009 if the Welsh boyos and bluesinthenorthwest.com can influence.  It was a
storming set to an appreciative crowd.  She has a killer band, great songs and a sassy and confident delivery.  There was a five minute delay caused by a power cut caused by a drunk tripping over the power lead.  Reba asked us to pass on the news that she was so hot that she caused the failure.

Quote of the day – from a Reba fan “Man….thayt Reba Russell, she cayn piss o-wn mah heead anytahm”.

October 13th, 2008 at 18:21

Another cracking report . . . didn’t Pete have his Shrewsbury Town flag with him, oh by the way, if he doesn’t know they got beat 2-1 at home by Port Vale . . . he, he, he. Reba Russell sounds great, mind you enjoyed what Pete played us on the way to Maryport.

October 13th, 2008 at 18:28

Here’s the lady in action at a Canadian festival . . .

Steve

October 13th, 2008 at 19:00

However, Grahame, Port Vale got beat 2-0 at home by Accrington Stanley a few weeks ago and I was there!

October 13th, 2008 at 21:35

He did have a selection of Welsh rugby shirts. Funny in the Mexican restaurant last night. When the owber asked where we were from Paul said “Wales”, the guy had never heard of it so in Spanish I said “It’s a small unimportant country close to England”

The Mexican said “Ah! Si! Pais de Gales”

October 14th, 2008 at 11:00

Back home and fighting jet lag and as our beloved Englishman doesn’t get back for a few more hours (via Amsterdam) I’ll just mention the Welsh toast we taught him “Twll dyn pob Sais”
Anyone know what it means?!!
Full review plus more pix of The Bizkit to follow.

October 14th, 2008 at 18:57

A couple more Welsh laughs.

The group was asked where we were from and of course the answer given was Wales. The American answered – “which state is that in?”

Another was told “Wales – Wales U.K.” and they answered “Cool! Did you drive?”.

I’m up and about now. Finally arrived home at 1.30 and had a cup of tea and a couple of hours in bed.

October 14th, 2008 at 18:59

Twll dyn pob Sais

Is it “Everyone loves the English”? 😉

October 14th, 2008 at 20:36

Not quite, I have it on good authority from my very Welsh colleague Marc at work, that it is something along the lines of . . . “the English can kiss my arse” . . . hmm, nice! Welcome back by the way!