BBC4 Friday 23 Apr 2010 – Oil City Confidential

Posted on: Saturday, Apr 17, 2010

Director Julien Temple’s film celebrates Canvey Island’s Dr Feelgood, the Essex R ‘n’ B band that exploded out of the UK in the prog era of the early Seventies, delivering shows and albums that helped pave the way for pub rock and punk.

Temple examines Canvey Island culture as a ‘Thames delta’ for British rhythm and blues, with a central performance from the Feelgood’s guitarist and songwriter Wilko Johnson. A British original, his dynamic stage presence and relationship with lead singer Lee Brilleaux drove the band through their early performances, characterising their three albums between 1975 and 1976, Down by the Jetty, Malpractice and the number one live album, Stupidity.

Wilko left the band in 1977, bassist John B Sparks and drummer The Big Figure both left in 1982, and Lee Brilleaux died in 1994. This is an imaginative, filmic and moving study of the place, times and characters that created the heyday of a seminal British band, and the personal forces that pulled them apart.

Steve

April 17th, 2010 at 22:11

Right, I don’t care if you’ve got to take the missus out for your anniversary, I don’t care if there are naked table dancers at your local pub, I don’t care if you’ve got a date with Cheryl Cole…if you have any interest in British rhythm & blues/rock ‘n’ roll over the last 40 years you MUST see this! 9pm – don’t be late!

April 18th, 2010 at 07:27

100% spot on.

I have my seat booked for the settee and will be picking up a few light refreshments to assist the enjoyment.

BTW Cheryl agreed to watch it with me.

April 18th, 2010 at 07:48

Like it guys . . . . “Roxette” or “She Does It Right” on Cheryl’s next album? Agreed though, not one to miss, well done BBC4 for sharing this with the nation.

Steve

April 18th, 2010 at 09:10

Damn! I KNEW Cheryl would start two-timing me sooner or later! Never mind, will just have to watch it on my own. Already seen it once (on Canvey Island, no less!) and I can thoroughly recommend it. Wilko is a star!

Jimbo

April 18th, 2010 at 22:29

I don’t believe I’m hearing that bimbo’s name in the same sentence as “The Feelgoods”, you can all share her with pleasure, I’ll just stick to the movie and my crate of Strongbow lol

Steve

April 19th, 2010 at 07:57

“Fast Women & Slow Horses”…story of my life, Jimbo.