YouTube: Reba Russell

Posted on: Saturday, Apr 24, 2010

April 24th, 2010 at 08:27

Brilliant … Ken will testify that they are one of the top live blues bands currently playing in the States.
I have recommended them to Colne organisers and also to the post festival returns for Maryport but because they haven’t heard of them , they don’t want to know. Instead they like to put on the tried and tested… who would have booked Magic Slim after his Burnley performance of last year when it was sadly obvious he wasn’t the force of previous years.
Both festivals have the ideal opportunity to bring over some of the exciting next generation of USA blues performers before they become too expensive… they should listen to the BITNW team who go over every year to The King Biscuit.
Oh well, got that off my chest!

Back to Reba.. the band is superb; so tight and she is without a doubt one of America’s best blues singers. I was hoping to bring the band over last year but the economics of a tour just was not possible. Perhaps another year.

April 24th, 2010 at 08:30

Yes – Pete was bleating on and on about just how good Reba and the band were. It pains me to admit it but Pete was right 😉

Reba and her band would absolutely blow away any festival here in the UK and be the talk of the year.

Instead we get Sandi Thom….

April 24th, 2010 at 10:09

Sums up the state of affairs over here . . . mind you, doesn’t Bonamassa play on her new album, or at least one track!!!

CK What

April 24th, 2010 at 14:55

If it will help I’ll pass on all your comments when I see her in October. We’re on the same Blues Cruise bill along with Trampled Under Foot, Victor Wainwright & a bunch of great Scandinavian blues acts.

Yours feeling smug.

April 24th, 2010 at 15:26

Yes please – tell her she’s brill!

Fine cruise!

April 24th, 2010 at 16:55

Victor Wainwright should be good, enjoyed his album. Be sure to mention this site to him Mike.

April 24th, 2010 at 18:27

.. I have to admit that I enjoyed Trampled Under Foot when they played the Biscuit two years ago.

I’ll just say skirt and breeze and leave it at that.

April 24th, 2010 at 19:00

Reba’s drummer Doug McMinn is a very good mate of mine – he was Mojo Buford’s manager and drummer when he toured the UK. He put me on to Victor Wainwright and I was very impressed. Also Trampled Under Foot are a superb band as Ken says and would make a big impression here in the UK.
It’s not that we’ve got less able bands here in the UK – I mean to say – CK What would agree that The Cadillac Kings are quite good – it’s just that the people selecting the American bands for UK festivals don’t know what they are doing.
The European people are much more up to date – e.g Nottoden – and that’s a tiny little place but it has people who know the scene.
If I had to select one UK festival to attend this year (after Worthenbury!) it would be Linton as they select good acts, often not heard at the other festivals. In fact there are a few of us going to Linton and personally I can’t wait to see Watermelon Slim.
As a final note to this blog, I have been chatting to someone and we hope to present one of the biggest names currently playing the USA scene. He is someone that I have suggested to both Colne and Maryport and there is a very strong chance that he will be coming over in November… watch this space as they say!

April 24th, 2010 at 19:12

Have Nottoden knicked Worthenbury’s back drop? Look at Worthenbury on the venue guide and check out the photo with Otis Taylor and Jon Del Torro Richardson,

CK What

April 25th, 2010 at 11:16

Just to round this marathon off with a 10th epistle. The reason the Scandinavian Festivals & clubs pick up on acts like Trampled Under Foot, Victor Wainwright, Billy Gibson & Reba etc is because, like certain northwest gentlemen of leisure who shall go unnamed, their fest organisers & club bookers religiously make that ‘arduous’ annual trip to Mississippi & Memphis etc, especially to the annual blues awards, where they checkout who’s hot etc. Some even make the supreme sacrifice of enduring the annual Caribbean blues cruise to see who they can entice back to the frozen north.
Also re Pete’s mention of Watermelon Slim. According to my friends in Norway Bill H loves playing small & medium size clubs across Scandinavia & invariably packs them out because he’s a fantastic entertainer. Well done to Linton for booking him. Take your cheque book Pete, I’m sure he’d love to play Worthenbury.

andizoo

April 25th, 2010 at 22:02

I love this band! I was introduced to Reba’s music by a guy who came to watch RZ and sent me some links, I would love to see her live, great to see her being featured here. Gina Sicilia is another American female blues singer who doesn’t seem to be widely known here in the UK, we cover one of her songs ‘I Aint Crazy’ and whenever I mention her name, I’m met with completely blank faces even from amongst blues enthusiasts.

April 26th, 2010 at 07:28

Gina is known at bluesinthenorthwest.com check out this review from 2007…..

If you are looking for other absolutely top drawer female blues vocalists then in my opinion the top of the tree is Janiva Magness. Her records are very good indeed and she was my highlight of the 2008 Arkansas Blues and Heritage Festival. A review of her brand new 2010 CD coming soon to bluesinthenorthwest.com (I hope).