British Blues Awards

Posted on: Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Voting is open for the 2011 British Blues Awards.  Voting will close on 31st July 2011.  The winners will be announced at The Newark Blues Festival on Sunday 11th September.

barny barnett

May 14th, 2011 at 12:28

johny hewitt over looked once again. change the name to blues in blinkers

May 15th, 2011 at 11:40

Agree Barney, quite unbelievable to not get nominated!!

andizoo

May 16th, 2011 at 16:57

Well I for one voted for Johny…twice! There have been some talented musicians from the NW who have been nominated, it’s a great shame that they’re not getting a mention…

barny barnett

May 16th, 2011 at 19:19

ive found its closed shop. if your not affiliated to blues matters or blues in britain you get shut out. their loss

May 17th, 2011 at 07:23

the same old, same old…

Why don’t we organise our own blues award for northern based bands and musicians, perhaps based around BITNW – thoughts Ken?

andizoo

May 17th, 2011 at 10:00

Personally I think it’s a shame that these awards are getting so much negativity directed towards them and a real shame for the hard work and efforts of the Newark Blues team.
They took the initiative to start something up to recognise the many talented musicians in the UK and should be applauded for their efforts. The method isn’t perfect and I’m sure each year they improve and learn from comments and suggestions but I don’t think there will ever be a ‘perfect’ or unbiased system. At the end of the day there will always be someone who thinks it’s unfair or down to who knows who…
I also think it’s an insult to those who have been nominated for their efforts to suggest it’s down to some sort of affiliation with Blues Matters or Blues In Britain. Our sax player John Sanderson, nominated in the ‘Best Instrumentalist’ category is a talented saxophonoist and I doubt you will see anyone play the flute like John . He has earned his salt having played with some of the greatest musicians over the many years of his career but is delightfully modest and humble and a real gentleman to boot…a rare quality indeed these days!. John isn’t signed, doesn’t have an agent and probably doesn’t even know about or reads Blues Matter or Blues In Britain publictaions…
I agree that there is a clear North/South divide in many aspects of this industry but come on chaps and at least get behind those in the NW who have been nominated by showing at least some public support as the other local radio stations, internet sites and even local BBC stations rather than just moaning about those who haven’t.

andizoo

May 17th, 2011 at 11:13

Correction, the BBA’s are organised and initiated by The Nottingham Blues Society not Newark Blues but job well done by all IMO

May 17th, 2011 at 11:20

I’m considering a local bluesinthenorthwest.com survey. I have the technology. My concern is that too few respondents would lead to a survey with a limited value.

I’ll consider it some more and come back later.

barny barnett

May 18th, 2011 at 19:09

my appolgies to those nominated and well done. however if your not going to represent the whole of england wales and scotland, dont use the title British blues awards. only sayin.

Graham

May 20th, 2011 at 17:18

Spot on andi, couldn’t agree with you more. I didn’t nominate Jon but I have voted for him! Ken, it would be wonderful if you could put something together, we would certainly try and help if needed!
Graham – True Blues Club

May 21st, 2011 at 14:54

This debate is getting more intruiging. I agree with Andi on her comments and I would be the last to criticise the people at Newark Blues as we’ve needed some form of recognition for British blues ever since Blues in Britain stopped producing their awards some years ago.

However, the system of producing winners can be contrived and manipulated so easily. It only needs someone to get loads of mates to vote en masse, some of whom may not be interested in the blues or one of the promotion companies to push their contacts to vote and you have a winner.

There has to be a fairer and truer system. I’d like to know how the Blues Foundation in America oversees its system for their awards (the old W C Handy awards)

Suggestions for an alternative system anyone?

andizoo

May 21st, 2011 at 15:47

I agree that there is unfortunately an element of rounding people up to nominate and ultimately to vote en masse but I don’t think there is a way around that to be honest when using an ‘online’ voting system, it’s always going to happen.
I suppose one alternative could be for the winners to be decided by a panel of judges but then of course that might exclude the lesser known bands and musicians, many of whom equally deserve to be recognised for their talents but because they may not have enjoyed the ‘exposure’ that the better known bands and musicians have, would ultimately miss out because the ‘judges’ won’t have heard of them or seen them perform.
I’m pretty sure that if it went down that route, the southern based bands might get a better shout, especially those from around the London area.
One idea maybe would be to have a seperate category for signed and unsigned bands/,musicians?
Another possible option and IMO a better solution, would be to have regional winners chosen from regional forums such as BITNW or local radio stations or blues clubs and then those regional winners go forward to a national vote or panel made up from representatives from the regional areas. That would at least ensure an even spread of nominees from around the UK :-)

thedrumdoctor

June 9th, 2011 at 11:52

I wouldn’t worry about it too much, these ‘awards’ mean nothing but to a handful of individuals anyway. Let’s face it, good music will rise to the surface, ‘awarded’ or not; a case in point would be The New Mastersounds, completely ignored and overlooked in Britain for years, finally taken up by an American promoter, haven’t looked back since.

andizoo

June 9th, 2011 at 12:42

Nick, I’m sure it means a lot to those who get nominated and to the many hundreds who vote :-)

thedrumdoctor

June 9th, 2011 at 13:41

I’m sure it does, but as someone who’s spent 26 years of his life in the music business, watching the cogs turn, experiencing the vacuous, transient nature of an ultimately corrupt machine, I really don’t take music awards or ‘battle of the bands’ spectacles on ANY level as having (to use Ken’s phrase), any real value.

The only music related recognition process I have any respect for are the Ivor Novello awards, as they deal with the only thing that matters in the music industry.

Sorry if I sound like a cynical old b******, but I’ve spent too much time near the dark side of the game. But don’t let me put anyone off….